Thursday, June 28, 2012

Our trip Nebraska

When we took this job in Utah, we always knew that we were going to be moving in a year or two.  The whole purpose of the job was to train Terry in all of the fields and get him ready for management.  Up until about a month ago, we were thinking that we would go to Bakersfield, CA in January.  Then about 3 weeks ago, there was more and more talk about up going to Nebraska because the accountant there is moving to Evanston and so an actually job opened up.  This past weekend, we went and checked out the area to get a feel for it.

I have a rule that if the town is too small for a Wal-mart to be there, then it's too small for me.  I like small towns, just not too small.  Well the town that we would live in (well actually 10 minutes away from it) doesn't even have a population because it's so small....

So we went and checked out the place, here is where we would live. (I was blocking the sun with my hand.  I could crop the picture, but I'm lazy....).  The house is nice and big!
I haven't seen this at a end of a driveway before...
                                               Nice and big garage, along with a chicken coop.
The little church.  The branch only has 30-40 people in it.  It's about 30 minutes away from the house.  I actually played piano in Relief Society because they were going to sing a capella if I didn't and I don't play the piano well at all.
There is a completely different feel in Nebraska.  I thought that living Wyoming was in the middle of nowhere, but there is much worse than that.  The house is about 20 minutes away from a little town of 287 people, which has a gas station, little store and a school.  Then it's 45 minutes away from a town of 8,000 that has a couple of stores there.  If we went there, we would have to get used to driving a ton!

On Sunday we just drove around (because there wasn't much else to do).  There was a little place called the "carhenge" and it was pretty fun to go check out.

Then on our way to a friends house, we saw these birds (they look pelicans to me).  Funny story, our next store neighbors in Laramie actually live in Nebraska and work for the company.  What are the odds of that happening?  It was great seeing them again!

Do you remember that episode from the Simpsons where they called Australia to see if the toilet flushes counter clock wise and the kids has to get on his bike to go check out the neighbor's toilet and it takes him all day to do it.  It seems extreme, but not in Nebraska.  Our closest neighbors are about 2 miles away.  

If we went there it would be a completely different life style change.  I would have to get used to the idea that I would go to the store only once a week.  It would definitely be an adventure, that's for sure!!


2 comments:

Amy Enloe said...

Sounds like my husband's dream (not sure if it is mine yet). He wants to live somewhere that he can shoot off the back porch it is so far removed. He grew up 3 miles outside of Julian, California (a town of about a thousand people) where they had to drive 30-45 minutes to get to stores, jobs and things. Even though we live in the city now, we still drive about a half hour to church and only shop once a week. Why would you have to live at the house in Ashby? My mom grew up on a farm on the Wyo/Neb border. The house reminds me of that. Tons of space for the kids to run around, which could give them great childhood experiences!

The Merkleys said...

WOW! I thought we moved to small town. It looks like a lot of open space though. Your boys would love all that room to run around. Good luck with what ever happens.