Sunday, September 6, 2009

I ran into a wall

Today I finished my third half marathon in Storm Lake, Iowa. We went up with Denny's family and several of us ran. I had some high expectations for this run, before I got pregnant with Keyne, I had won the half marathon in our town. So I had some pretty tough goals that I wanted to achieve. I was feeling great, I was on pace for my goals and at the half way mark, I was at 54 minutes. Things seemed to be going pretty well, I had a nice steady pace until about 8 miles and then I slowed down a little but not much until mile 10. Then my legs started to cramp up but I was still able to stay with the group right in front of me. Then mile 11 hit, and my pace slowed down. By mile 12, I hit a wall. My body completely just shut down. I tried really hard to lengthen my stride and just run, but I couldn't. I had to stop and walk. I NEVER walk on runs, especially in a race. It was humiliating, just watching people run past me. I had to walk for about 1/2 mile and then I was able to run again and finish the race. I was so disappointed in myself, I was doing so well, at mile 9 I was in the top 5 girls. I at least finished it, in 2:03 (not a good time for me).

I have never felt so drained in my life. Luckily they had food at the finish line. I do not like to eat right after running, but I knew that I had to get something in my body. So I had 3 granola bars, 2 yogurts, a bag of grapes and a banana and I was still weak. When I sat down, I felt like I was going to fall over and fall asleep. After a couple of hours I finally got my energy back. I did learn something today, running a half marathon and nursing a baby do not mix!!

Kanyon made the sign for me, so sweet!

I wasn't too happy at the end, I was actually really embarassed because I did so poorly.

Here is everyone that ran, they all did a good job!
Here are my stinkin cute boys after the race. Brennen let Kanyon wear one of his medals (he won in his age group, he was the youngest person to run the half)

6 comments:

Newton 5 said...

You still did well Kaysi! You are still nursing?!?! Wow, yeah, that would make it a little bit tougher. I'm still proud of you. How did everyone else do? Was it a fun trip?

Kori said...

You're scaring me.

Anna Beal said...

ooh yah, not a good mix at all! Kudos to you for trying though. You will NEVER catch me in a marathon...EVER! :)

Britni said...

I'm still impressed you did it so quickly...one day maybe I'll get under 2 hours. Just a little faster each time right :)

Danielle said...

I'm sorry it went so poorly for you. I know you're an awesome runner. I'm sure you'll do better next time. Does nursing make it a lot harder? I wonder if that's what is hindering me...on second thought, I'm sure it's just the cookies I ate for breakfast and the fact I haven't had a decent workout routine in years :) I would like to think I suck because of nursing though. Your boys ARE stinkin' cute!

Pat Newton said...

I'm still huffing and puffing just thinking about anyone running like that! Wow! You did well; I'm glad you are not giving up.