Monday, June 1, 2009

I love to sing

One thing that I love about my ward is that people actually think I know how to sing :).  I have sung my whole life, and I have always wanted to be ask to do a musical number in sacrament meeting.  Growing up I was able to do it once with Beaner.... we didn't practice at all and it just wasn't pretty, sorry Beaner.  I remember that my mom kinda made fun of me and told me that I made Beaner look bad.  I also remember that someone in the ward told my mom that that I sounded like her, and she took that as an insult.  Lets just say I lost my confidence and really didn't want to do any more musical numbers.  

I really haven't been involved with singing in the wards, and therefore no one knew that I could sing.  Well in this ward, I decided to join the choir because my friend who plays the piano requested more people to come to choir.  So I decided to do it and support her in her calling.  Well since then, I have done three musical numbers, sang at two funerals and had a solo in the choir.  I'm not trying to brag at all, it had just been so nice to be able to sing again!  I love it, to actually be challenged with the music and sing something more than just hymns.  I am so grateful that I have been blessed with music and the ability to sing!  

6 comments:

Danielle said...

You are a great singer! I'm so glad you can share that with others. You're so brave to sing for people. I'm way to nervous and shy anymore. I'm glad you're having fun with the music again. I miss doing that too. Good for you!

Dennis said...

You made me chuckle outloud with your comment about mom.

I have to say that I cannot consciously remember hearing you sing alone. Many times with a group when people were gathered around the piano and Kori was playing but never alone. You'll have to do a solo for the family at reunion.

Denny

Katy said...

Good for you, I'm way too chicken to get up and sing (mostly has to do with my total tone-deaf issues)but even if I COULD sing, that'd be a big deal to get in front of people to do that!

Your boys look like they are having such a fun summer!! They are SO CUTE!

Britni said...

Hmm if you would've asked me I would've told you that you were a great singer. Pretty sure we made the best rendition of Kokomo ever.

Jamie VanDyke said...

I wish I was a better singer. When I was in 9th grade I tried choir as an elective, and the teacher told me he would give me an "A" for the year if I promised never to sing again.

Sharee said...

That's funny...I've had the opposite thing happen to me in this ward...I've always been a singer and been asked to do musical numbers etc..until I got to this ward. I never get asked. I've been a little offended by it...ha ha! I guess maybe I don't sound as good as I thought...lol! Good for you though! You do have a great voice!